Consumer FAQsPharmacist FAQs

Pharmacist FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions for Pharmacists on "Outsourcing Facilities"


Q: Are "outsourcing facilities" required to obtain a pharmacy permit?

A: Board staff has received inquiries concerning whether and under what circumstances a Section 503B outsourcing facility (as defined in the federal Drug Quality and Security Act) must also hold a pharmacy permit.  The answer depends on the scope of services provided at the facility.  The following guidance issued by the Board of Pharmacy on July 15, 2014 details the circumstances under which Section 503B outsourcing facilities must obtain (or maintain) a pharmacy permit:



Return to Pharmacist FAQ Menu