Consumer FAQsPharmacist FAQs

Pharmacist FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions for Pharmacists on Disposal of Controlled Substances


Q: How should a pharmacy dispose of drugs, both non-controlled medications & controlled substances?

A: The NCBOP Drug Disposal Form can be found by logging into the facility portal.  The Drug Disposal Form Tab is located at the bottom of the facility page.

1.  Complete the form making sure a current e-mail address is listed.  The form can be saved to be completed later; a confirmation number will be provided to access the form again. Once the form is submitted, you will not be able to access the form to make changes.

Community/retail pharmacies are to use this form for controlled or non-controlled medications; however, when listing controlled substances, a separate form(s) must be used. Do not combine controlled and non-controlled medications.

Hospitals, clinics and nursing homes (see #3) may use this form for non-controlled medications only. Duplicate/multiple forms are permitted. These forms shall be retained by the pharmacy for a period of three (3) years.

2.  Once the form is submitted and reviewed by staff, an e-mail will be sent to notify the permit that approval for drug disposal has been given.  The e-mail should be retained in the pharmacy for (3) years.

3.  Contact the NC Department of Health & Human Services, Drug Control Unit at (919) 733-1765 for disposal or destruction of controlled substance medications in:

- Hospitals
- Nursing homes that are skilled facilities with a ten (10) bed limit. Note: this does not include assisted living facilities.
- Clinics include: EMS, Veterinary clinics, Methadone clinics, outpatient surgery clinics, weight loss clinics and physician practices with more than one (1) practitioner using common stock of controlled substance medications.

The Drug Control Unit has more information available here:



Return to Pharmacist FAQ Menu